Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886715185

From: <>
Subject: Re: Aceticism?
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 16:46:25 EST

I was raised in the Catholic faith in Milwaukie, Oregon USA from birth until
adult hood. While the Catholic church has some very defined religious beliefs
which over the years have been discussed and rediscussed by many, this church
like many, if not all, others have extreme conservatives and extreme liberals
and and whole lot of middle people including those in the religious life such
as sisters, priests, monks, and the like.

As a very young child we would have the local priest over to dinner on an
occasional event such as Thansgiving or Easter. My father drank and my mother
did not but they did so by their own choice. The priest at the time would
drink along with my father. He was at least somewhat liberal. Later we got an
Irish asst. priest who would come and was not even tolerant of my father's
drinking much less participate. Later we got a priest who would come and not
drink but who always invited my father to enjoy his own.

When my older brother got married we had a wine punch at the wedding in the
church hall. Only three years later we were not allowed to have it at mine.
The priests had changed in the mean time and the attitude had changed but the
church was still the same.

In doing research on my ancestors in KY, USA, who were Baptist, I found that
the local church split into two based on a difference of opinion on an item
such as missionaries. Both sides professed that there were scriptures on
their side to justify their position and both went their separate ways.

I travle alot for my business. There is one county in one state I have been in
who shall remain unnamed to protect us all from anyone there becoming upset at
my indicating their county which is not the point of the story anyway. This
county set up laws years ago based upon the founders religious beliefs
relating to drinking to keep the area free from alcohol. However, all the
drinking laws have done is set people to devising ways around them such there
are now "private" clubs which you cab get into as long as you pay the fee or
the residents drive to another county, state to get it.

My point to this whole story is that while the basic principles of a church
may be middle of the road or not even directly address an item such as dancing
or drinking, somewhere along the line the individual ministers or sects or
sections of a country or area have moved in either a liberal or conservative
movement which has resulted in the profession of the church's belief in one
thing or another as being derived from the bible or some other religious
source.

Like Edward I believe it is too bad that we are kept from those things which
might be enjoyable on the pretext that there is a religious source. I am not
advocating those things which will truely harm someone nor am I advocating
those things which are spiritually harmful. I just think we too often have
been influenced by people who although perhaps meaning well may have been
reacting to their own weaknesses or misunderstandings.

This thread: