Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886755717

From: <>
Subject: Re: Yeoman definition
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 04:01:57 EST

I am currently studying and writing a sub-portion on my book regarding the
definition (part of which resulted in my asking what the definition of mensal
lands was in an earlier post).

In the Irish (Ed and Gordon can help me with the Scots-Gaelic) Gaelic, there
are several words that come out in English meaning 'yeoman'.

Two of them are brugaidh (a hospitaller or person with a large house who kept
it open and available for travelers and such, this usually meant that there
was some land set aside for farming to support it); and biatach (a person who
farms land and was responsible for providing produce from it to the brugaidh).
These class positions in the Normans (and later English people) were
synonimous (spelling?) with a position called husbandman (I thought husbandman
was for animals, but oh well).

This mix-up was due to two different cultures meeting and trying to grasp the
intricacies of the other (a not too easy task). I would try and find out what
the person actually did and then go from there. Yeoman is too easy a term to
bounce around and apply to any flaith (person of nobility in Irish, which this
terms comes out gentry in English, which it too also has many convolutions).


This thread: