Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886761442

From: Colleen Eagan <>
Subject: Re: Fw: The Irish in America
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 05:37:22 -0500

WE VIEW OUR WORLD FROM OUR OWN HALF BUSHEL...
an old saying I heard from my Presbyterian minister's wife some years ago.
I always visualized compartmentalizing ourselves and others as all of us in
a HUGE building with each of us looking out our own LITTLE windows down on
the world below. Depending on our perspective from our window, that is how
we see the world. You stated it very well, Edward.
KEEPING IT ALL STRAIGHT IN OUR MINDS...
seems to be easier if we do it by names; but we are more than our names,
aren't we? It's only one identifier.

Cheers,

Colleen

At 04:23 PM 2/5/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Gail H wrote:
>>
>> oes this mean to say that my "IRISH"McDonalds are just that,As they
>> claim ,and not scotch-irish because they were Catholic?
> Like all classifications - outside science - the classification of
>S-I is a vague one.
> It is not that the McDonalds are not S-I because they are Roman
>Catholics, but because, if they are the Glens of Antrim McDonalds,
>there were in Ireland for some time before the S-I movement took
>place.
> There will be some McDonalds - in all the variety of spelling who are
>S-I, some who will be Scots, and some who will be Irish.
> I know that it is confusing, but you have to remember that we have
>got at least four population movements. The crossing between Scotland
>and Ireland. Which could have been basically before or after the
>Plantation.
> The crossing of the Atlantic, which was either in the eighteenth
>century or later.
> I am very glad that as an historian I am only concerned with the
>travel on the Irish Sea. That is quite complicated enough.
> If you don't try to put people into neat boxes in an almost
>ethnocentric way, then you can enjoy the diversity of people who have
>had a journey to get to where they are today.
> Religion is only a convenient marker. You have to remember however
>that people can change their religious allegiance.
> You came into a fairly long running discussion between Bill and
>others about the relative relationship between the Irish and the S-I,
>(I'm not sure if Bill even believes in the existence of the S-I. On
>the other hand Linda is very much into S-I.
> Myself. I live in Scotland, but my parents live in Ireland and would
>see themselves as Settlers.
>I hope that this explains the background
>Edward Andrews
>--
>St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith
>Visit our Web site
>http://www.btinternet.com/~stnicholas.buccleuch/index.htm

This thread: