Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886765253

From: Dave Culbertson <>
Subject: Re: View of Scotland
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 06:40:53 -0500

My family history book indicates that the earliest known home of the
Culbertson family was in County Roxburg at a small village named
Morebattle, eight miles south of Kelso, Scotland. It indicates that
Culbertson's have lived in this area since 1400 A.D. This is in the
Lowlands and is about 5 miles from the Chevoit Hills which form a
boundry between Scotland and England and is on a small stream which
empties into the Tweed River.

I would be interested in several things if you would care to comment.
What is the history (condensed) from 1400 to 1650's of this area. I
would also be interested in learning more about the coventeer's (since
my ancester left Scotland to go to Ireland as a direct result of this).
Are there records this I might be able to get church Information
(marriages, deaths) from this era? There is no information in my book
before 1650.

Thank You,

David Culbertson

This thread: