Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886782827

From: "Westwood, Valerie" <>
Subject: RE: Redneck Heaven
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 11:33:47 -0500

Hi Everyone

Joe (Iron Duke) wrote:

A few years ago there was an article in History Today by Forrest
MacDonald
and Grady McWhinney about the so-called Celtic South. It went on
to point
out that Southern rednecks were lazy, made their own whiskey,
and were
primarily pastoralists, i e they watched their hogs eat acorns
rather than
farm for more than corn for whisky. They extended this to laws
and clan
leaders vs politicians, etc. They tried to back it up with
economic data.

I cannot endorse all their notions but there was something in
what they said.

My response

As a Canadian with Scot-Irish roots I am not sure how much of
the above is really true. Sounds very much like (propaganda) what the
English said about the Irish and why it would be better if the Irish
were under English rule. Yes the Scots of the earlier centuries were
very intolerant people (after the Reformation of the Church), and it was
a Scot (not Scot-Irish) who started the KKK. The KKK (rednecked) tried
to ingrain itself in Canada and was not all that successful. The
Scot-Irish for the most part has been very industrious ie. I read 13 of
the American Presidents were of Scot-Irish back ground. In Canada they
traditionally have been successful people. We here do not have the
quite the same attitude among our population although many things about
the culture are similar. Yes they had a similar music, probably some of
the food is the same etc. But my argument would be that I think that
local social and economic facts should be considered before blaming on
the Celtic culture.

Valerie Westwood
Ontario, Canada

This thread: