Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886785297

From: <>
Subject: Re: Fw: The Irish in America
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 12:14:57 EST

In a message dated 98-02-06 11:00:31 EST, LInda writes:

<< And that the way forward is to acknowledge that and to find a
way to forge a new identity -- which is inclusive of both ethniticies --
or some other solution which we cannot foresee because only our children
can. I don't find denying the ethnic problem's validity helpful.
A new "Irish" ethnicity must evolve that is inclusive, not exclusive. >>

there is one great example of that in Irish history: assimilation of the
Normans by the Irish. For instance, the de Burghs became the Burkes (have some
in my line and have been reading about them) and became fiercely Irish
patriots through many centuries.

love
'joan

This thread: