Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886786448

From: Kathy Bates <>
Subject: Re: What's a "sassenach?"
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 13:34:08 -0400

Ah! You must be reading Diana Gabaldon's books! VERY good...ALL of them.
And the historical content is wonderful. others on this list would be
better to answer your question than i on the word definition, but from what
i learned from the books and what Webster says, "sassenach" was derived
from a Gael word "sasunnach" meaning "an English person or Lowlander: term
used, often disparagingly, by Irish and Scots". However, later, it didn't
have so much of a negative connotation, hence the pet name. Do I have this
right, anyone else out there who might know?
Cheers,
*kathy
>The word "sassenach" is used as a nickname or a term of endearment from a
>husband to a wife in a book I'm reading that takes place around the '45
>uprising.
>
>Any idea what it means?
>
>Curious,
>Catherine