Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886794982

From: <>
Subject: the Irish question
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 14:56:22 EST

<< And now in 1998 we need to acknowledge that most Ulsterfolk adopt one
of two ethnic identities which history has given them little choice but
to do. And that the way forward is to acknowledge that and to find a
way to forge a new identity -- which is inclusive of both ethniticies --
or some other solution which we cannot foresee because only our children
can. I don't find denying the ethnic problem's validity helpful.
A new "Irish" ethnicity must evolve that is inclusive, not exclusive.

Linda Merle

Dear Linda and list,

Knowing, ashamedly, very little about the history of the old country, I've
been quietly watching the various friendly and not so friendly discussions
about ethnic differences, religion, and geographic location as determinents of
Scot, or Irish or Scots-Irish.

I would like to throw this into the woodpile and see how it burns:

My ancestor William Lindsay was a Presbyterian from County Down, as was his
father and grandfather. William emigrated in 1847 and married an American.
He was buried in New Kensington PA in 1894. A few years ago I made the trip
and visited his grave. Marking his grave is a large granite stone decorated
with shamrocks. The shamrocks say to me that William Lindsay was considered
to be an Irishman and must have considered himself to be so too.

It seems as tho, at least in this case, a fella born in Ireland had no trouble
saying he was Irish, at least in 1894. For what else could he be?

Nancy

This thread: