Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886814003

From: John Carpenter <>
Subject: Re: P. M. Tony Blair
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 17:13:23 -0800 (PST)

It sounds like he's more receptive to the idea of
peaceful negociation with the greens than any of his
predecessors. This may be the finest chance for
peace in NI in 400 years. Those years are so full of
strife and feuding that they will be hard to overcome
but if the government will negociate, I think it can
happen.

--- wrote:

> John Carpenter wrote:
> >At least many Ulstermen, Orange or Green, know
that they can only live
> together >if they allow each other to live. If
they can persuade the English
> and the other
> >Ulstermen of it, things will improve.
>
> and Linda Merle wrote:
>
> > And now in 1998 we need to acknowledge that most
Ulsterfolk adopt one
> > of two ethnic identities which history has given
them little choice but
> > to do. And that the way forward is to acknowledge
that and to find a
> > way to forge a new identity -- which is inclusive
of both ethniticies --
> > or some other solution which we cannot foresee
because only our children
> > can. I don't find denying the ethnic problem's
validity helpful.
> > A new "Irish" ethnicity must evolve that is
inclusive, not exclusive.

> I would be interested in input from our brethern
across the pond.

> I saw the President Clinton/British Prime Minister
Tony Blair press conference
> today. Although the main emphasis of the joint
press conference was Iraq
> (that is of course when the press wasn't asking
about the President's
> Sexcapades, <grin>), P. M. Blair mentioned efforts
to bring peace to Northern
> Ireland. Blair said something to the effect that
negotiators were closer than
> they had been in generations to see peace become
reality. He went on to
> address recent violent incidents by saying the
majority must not allow the
> efforts of militant minorities to destroy the peace
in NI that would be so
> beneficial to the majority.
>
> I was impressed with him through news reports of
how he handled Princess Di's
> funeral. He "worked with" the Royal family to give
her the big funeral the
> people so badly wanted and needed. Are his efforts
toward peace in NI as
> genuine as he seems to be?
>
> Looking forward to the insiders point of view on
this issue.