Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886833032

From: linda Merle <>
Subject: Re: the Irish question
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 22:30:32 -0800

Hi Nancy,

> The shamrocks say to me that William Lindsay was considered
> to be an Irishman and must have considered himself to be so too.

I donno -- he mighta hated anyting Irish and his friends pulled
a little last joke on him!!

> It seems as tho, at least in this case, a fella born in Ireland had no trouble
> saying he was Irish, at least in 1894. For what else could he be?

Well, he wsan't saying much, being dead, and he coulda been any
thing he wanted to be in life.

Maybe your grandfather was comfortable being called Irish. Does
that mean everyone else has to too? Isn't it possible for your
grandfather to be "okay" and for others who feel differently
to also be "okay"? Isn't diversity and free choice what it is
about? If so, why is it not okay to be Ulster Scots? And last
question -- could you be unintentionally contributing to the
problem by insisting that the only thing "okay" is shamrocks?

Linda Merle

This thread: