Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886834713

From: linda Merle <>
Subject: Re: Fw: The Irish in America
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 22:58:33 -0800

George & Kay Whitehead wrote:

> Linda,
>
> Dour & durable - both used to describe the folks you
> mention come from the same root word. King James
> depended upon our ancestors to hold the line when things went badly. His
> faith was not misplaced. Did
> not an elder of the kirk pray that he might always be right, "for thou
> knowest Lord, I am hard to turn".

haha! Actually the final word might have been spoken by John
Giacometti in some email to me -- I was talking about whether or
not the Clintons from Co Longford who went to Wallkill (ugh! sucha
name!) New York in 1729 were SI -- and he said he figured the
British thought they were "SI enough to absorb a few arrows".
I'm still laughing....

Linda Merle

This thread: