Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886861375

From: Edward Andrews <>
Subject: Re: Fw: The Irish in America
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 14:22:55 +0000

linda Merle wrote:

> Edward said...
> >> A new "Irish" ethnicity must evolve that is inclusive, not exclusive.
> > Here here. This is the only way forward
>
> Thanks, Edward, and let me clarify that I think it is an Irishness
> that includes but doesn't subsume Ulster Scotsness. An Irishness
> that includes Anglo Irish, Ulster Scots, Huguenots, Danes, Dutch,
> Chinese, Jewish, English, and all the rest without insisting that
> they obscure their origins or submerge portions of their identity
> in subserviance to some kind of strange notion of Gaelicness which
> is bogus. Ie Welsh, Scots, Breten, Cornish, British -- these are
> all people of the same stock, and all of them are as mixed with
> Norse ((ie Norman) as the "Irish" is.
>
> Then we'll have a big fair and learn Irish, Scots Gaelic, and
> Ulster Scots, drink some beer, and watch Father Ted on the BBC!
> <cough, cough! Sorry, I love Father Ted!>
>
> Secure in our identities, no matter what they are .....
Actually Father Ted is on Channel 4.
This is the whole point I think, people have to be secure in their
identity. The worst thing that Dev did was to take the Irish into the
Gaelic/Catholic corral and keep them there.
When you remember that the Irish Constitution is a religious document
- "In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
this is by itself excluding those who are not trinitarians, and so it
goes on.
Edward

--
St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith
Visit our Web site

This thread: