Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886861748

From: Edward Andrews <>
Subject: Re: What's a "sassenach?"
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 14:29:08 +0000

Kathy Bates wrote:
>"sassenach" was derived
> from a Gael word "sasunnach" meaning "an English person or Lowlander: term
> used, often disparagingly, by Irish and Scots". However, later, it didn't
> have so much of a negative connotation, hence the pet name. Do I have this
> right, anyone else out there who might know?
In circles in which I move, when the word is used it has such
extremely disparaging connotations that it is rarely used as being
grossly offensive to our southern neighbours.
It is usually used with a selection of adjectives.
Edward
--
St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith
Visit our Web site

This thread: