Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886864232

From: <>
Subject: MCILVEEN, N. Ire>SC, 1700's.
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 10:10:32 EST

Hello David.....
One of my ancestors, William MCILVEEN (also spelled McElveen) lived in
Williamsburg County, South Carolina, 1700's (Jefferies Creek). His will was
not dated but was proven January 19, 1807. He mentions his wife Margaret; his
sons, William, James, Henry, and Thomas; his daughters, Mary Ann, Margaret,
and Jane (my line); and his daughter-in-law, Eleanor Matthews and her son,
John. Executors, William and James MCELVEEN, William James COOPER, and Robert
GREGG. Appraisement made by John JAMES, Samuel SCOTT, and Benjamin BRITTON.
William MCILVEEN was in South Carolina by at least 1770....and served in
the militia during the American Revolution under Capts. John Armstrong, John
Wilson, John Nelson, Lt. Col. James, Col. Richard Richardson and Gen. Francis
Marion. His father may have been John MCILVEEN, who arrived in South Carolina
between 1735-1737, and witnessed the will of Henry MONTGOMERY in 1769 along
with Alexander MCREA, and William MCCULLOUGH. William's daughter Jane
MCILVEEN, 1775-1852, married William GREGG, 1770-1816, whose father John
GREGG, 1732-1775, of Londonderry and later Belfast..arrived in Williamsburg,
South Carolina by at least 1752.
David...any information you may have on possible connections to your
MCILVEENs in Antrim would be wonderful.....

Regards,
Warren Wilkinson

This thread: