Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886864372

From: Stu Ross <>
Subject: Re: "The Sight"
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 15:12:52 +0000 (GMT)

"caul" commonly called lucky cap here. born without mother's waters being
broken. i was (like freud! ooo) but i only see things when i'm drunk.
though, believe it or not i share my office with one of britain's leading
(only!!!) parapsychologists. indeed, he is the roe (boyle) i requested info
on. he tells me it's all down to the barnum effect!

catch chris and me at

http://www.nene.ac.uk/ass/behav/psych/psyweb2.html

chris has a separate site with loads-a-links for you sight seekers ... good
ghostly surfin' ... no laughing at me picture or me evil eye will descend
doon the optics ...

stu

At 18:22 06/02/98 -0500, you wrote:

><< Could someone please explain to me what "The Sight" or "Second Sight" is
> and how it was used in ever day life by our ancestors. >>
>
>My great-grand-aunt reportedly had "The Sight," which means she could "see"
>things, things that had taken place far away or things that were to take
>place in the future.
>I think old wives' tale indicated such a person was born with a caul over
>their face, and I am not sure that "caul" meant anything ot her than a fold of
>skin of some kind.
>
>but let me tell you about my grand=aunt, that my own mother was named for.
>she lived in a great barny house on the edge of a small Texas town, with a
>wide lawn separating her house with a smaller one occupied by other family
>members. an imposing row of cedar trees led from one house to the other.
>I was among the oldest of several cousins, and the best story teller. When we
>all visited my grandmother (a later occupant of the big barny house) we
>cousins slept, on cots and pallets, wall to wall, in the big bedroom that
>opened out onto this lawn and row of cedars.
>And every night the younger cousins would insist I tell them about our great-
>grand-aunt, and I would, and they would squeal and shiver and next morning
>tell their mamas, and all the sisters, my aunts and my own mother, would
>chastize me for scaring them and keeping everyone awake. but heck, it was one
>of those aunts (the youngest one) who had told me the story in the first
>place!!
>
>Back before the turn of the century (in he 1890s, natch) oury great-grand-
>aunt, the one with the Second Sight, occupied this very bedroom. And on summer
>nights, like this one, the window would be open to catch the breeze, and the
>curtains would be pulled back to let in the moonlight, streaming in just like
>now.
>And Aunt Mary went to sleep one night, worrying about her only son who was at
>summer school at SMU in Dallas. She was afraid he was hurthing from a broken
>heart. So it was with a heavy heart of her own that she fell into a restless
>sleep.
>but just as the old clock was chiming the hour Hear it, just like now!!_)O
>this story took careful timing) she woke with a start and sat up ion bed.
>She looked out the window, this very window, and there, coming across the wide
>lawn, under that row of cedar trees, was her son. He walked right up on the
>porch and right through the window, and he sat on the side of her bed, right
>here.
>and he pointed to his forehead, and he said, in a hoarse voice, "Mother, I am
>sorry, so sorry. I just shot myself!"
>And she looked at the ragged hole in his forehead, with blood dripping down
>his face, and she screamed and screamed and screamed. Other members of the
>family came running in, right thru that door, but the boy was gone.
> [...]
Dr Stuart Ross
Psychology Division \\ //
Nene College || || ||
Moulton Park \\ || //