Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886892262

From: Carl Backers <>
Subject: Re: What's a "sassenach?"
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 14:57:42 -0800

wrote:

> The word "sassenach" is used as a nickname or a term of endearment from a
> husband to a wife in a book I'm reading that takes place around the '45
> uprising.
>
> Any idea what it means?
>
> Curious,
> Catherine

I bet you are reading Diana Gabaldon's wonderful books. I hope you are
reading them in sequence. I learned so much about the Scotish culture
as she did much research. "Sassenach" as referred to in those novels
seem to indicate someone who is not from that country or culture, an
outsider so to speak. The husband used it as a term of endearment but
when others used it, referring to her, it indicated "being a foreigner".
If you ARE referring to Gabalbon's books, the next one, "The Fiery
Cross" will not be out until 1999, darn it.

Connie Backers, No. Calif.

This thread: