Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886897166

From: "Alice J. Gayley" <>
Subject: Nathan Bedford Forrest
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 19:19:26 -0500

Iain,

Can't answer the question of whether or not General Forrest was
Scots, however, in 1993-1994, the Civil War Times Illustrated
did a 3-part series on him that you may be interested in reading.
Part 3 (the only part I can lay my hands on at the moment) appeared
in the January/February 1994 issue. It was titled Leader of the Klan:
The Life of Nathan Bedford Forrest. The table of contents describes
the artcle as: Used to victory and at home on the battlefield, Forrest
is forced to cope with the Confedercy's lean years and the postwar
Reconstruction in the third and final installment of CWTI's profile
of the war's greatest horse soldier. (Wouldn't that last assessment
cause at stir among CW Generals Jeb Stuart, Phil Sheridan, Pickett, and
George Armstrong Custer, to name but a few?)

Alice J. Gayley
Washington, DC via Brookville, Eldred Township, Jefferson County, PA;
Philadelphia, PA; Drumlegagh, County Tyrone, Ireland; Bute, Scotland

This thread: