Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886910139

From: linda Merle <>
Subject: Re: MacDougall Clan
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 19:55:39 -0800

Hi, Jenny sent this to the administrative address not the list,
which is at (no -request).

Can anyone help her??

I guess I'll start by saying -- Jenny, talk to your parents and
grandparents and find out as much as you can from them. And write
down the interesting stories they tell you so you can give them
to your children.

MacDougall was once Gaelic Mac Dhoughaill. It began as a first
name Dughall, which was from dugh meaning black and gall meaning
foreigner. The Danes were the black foreigners in Scotland, so
you are named after a Danish or Viking ancestor. The clan is
from Argyll and Lorn and are named after Dougal, a son of
a Viking named Somerled.

Linda

wrote:

> Hello, my name is Jenny McDougal and I'm doing a reserch project on my
> ansectors and why they left for Ireland. Please, if you have any info
> on tracing my ansectors, write back. Of any info on why they left.
>
> Thankyou,
>
> Jenny McDougal

-

This thread: