Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886910941

From: "Renee C. Greene" <>
Subject: Re: Fw: The Irish in America
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 23:09:01 -0500 (EST)

> If the Scotch-Irish are really Scots and not Irish at all, why do
they persist in being called Scotch-Irish?

Maybe it's as simple as - the Scots are proud of their heritage -
and regardless of the reason they came to Northern Ireland - they
dug and plowed the same dirt, and shared many generations of good
and bad times with Irish... and feel a part of it.

They are Scot by blood / ancient heritage; but PART of their
heritage IS Ireland as well.

In the US, we have Italian/Americans, Swedish-Americans, Irish-
Americans... I guess I just don't see the problem.

[Although I CAN see that there IS a problem... ]

Renee Collins-Greene
Scotch-?-?-?-American (grin)

This thread: