Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886912304

From: linda Merle <>
Subject: Re: Searching for STEWART
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 20:31:44 -0800

Hi Margaret,

Civil Registration began in Scotland in Jan 1855. You should be able
to get the marriage record of John and Adaliza in Glasgow. Maybe
you have it already which is how you know the parents. It is worth
a stab to check for them in the census in 1851 and 1861. It might
give a place of birth other than Ireland, but probably not.

In Ireland you have census substitutes -- the Householders Index.
It is on film at LDS. And church records. Not knowing which
church he attended, it could take time to find them all, so
consider the Ulster Historical Foundation:
www.unite.net/customers/uhf. It is indexing available records.
Also check with Rob Davison, the sect'y for the NIFHS who can
suggest what to do. I am not sure what records he has -- in
fact I'd like to know myself so I could use each organization most
effectively. I've not used the Ulster Historical Foundation.

You can also check our web site:

List website: http://members.aol.com/Manus/ulsterref.html

And the BIFHS: http://www.rootsweb.com/~bifhsusa/

Best of luck,