Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886914285

From: John Carpenter <>
Subject: Re: Where were the Churches in the Famine?
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 21:04:45 -0800 (PST)

Joan, I had never heard this until your posting. I
think it's wonderful.....true charity, love for
people unknown to you. In the Depression of the 30's
in America, it was often poor people who gave the
most to those in the most trouble financially. The
widow's mite is valuable in itself as well as
mythologically.

---Aaron Orr wrote:

> Joan:
>
> It's noteworthy that the Choctaws' generosity has
been conveniently omitted
> from the realms of world history. What a glaring
shame!

> Aaron
>
> ----------
> > Subject: Re: Where were the Churches in the Famine?
> > Date: February 7, 1998 12:55 AM
> >
> > In a message dated 98-02-06 14:58:34 EST, you
write:

> > << You have to remember that we are talking about
the mid 19th Century.
> > There had been bad harvests throughout Europe.
The Corn Laws were
> > still in operation in the UK. The belief was
that charity only
> > produced a dependency culture - where have we
heard that before? >>

> > You know what unlikely group sent aid to starving
Irishmen?
> > Choctaw Indians in America, one of the five
"civiilzed" tribes which had
> been
> > forcibly removed from Southeastern States like
Georgia and Alabama in the
> > infamous "removals" of which the Trail of Tears
was one. They had been
> given
> > some pretty miserable lands in what is now
Oklahoma, and they knew what
> it
> > was to be hungry and homeless.
> > remember, this was in the middle of the Ninet
eenth Cent ury, when few
> people
> > called them the "noble" redmen. Most called them
dirty ignorant savages.
> > But they shared what little tribal bounty they
had with the Irishmen
> overseas.
> > I think that is one of the few remarkable stories
of generosity to emerge