Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886916319

From: <>
Subject: Re: Fw: The Irish in America
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 00:38:39 EST

<< Actually, it is you who have been assimulated and thus you have lost
the richness of your Viking, Cruithne, Norman, French, English,
and Scots past.

But what we have gained, Linda, is a new amalgam, which, as in the case of
most sums which are greater than their parts, is richer, stronger, with
greater tensile strength, than any one of the lements, be it Viking, Cruithne,
Norman, Frenhc, English and Scots. And Irish.
I am not Scotch-Irish, not Irish hyphenated American. I am of a new breed, and
proud of it. I enjoy looking at those parts which are in my makeup (or I would
not be on this list) but I also enjoy contemplating the whole, which is being
American, plain and simple.
And after all, is this not what mankind always has been? The Scots were made
up of earlier peoples, the Irish of seveal bunches of ?Celts and Vikings et
al; the /Germans of the Vandals and the Goths and other Tetonic tribes.
This is what nature intended, by permitting all of our genes to meld and to
evolve into new __ and undoubtedly better __ families.

love
joan

This thread: