Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886919050

From: Burnside< >
Subject: re Second Sight
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 01:24:10 -0500

Hi

Interesting thread. I thought the Second Sight, as practiced by our Celtic
ancestors was more seeing things that were lost, or hidden, or seeing events
far away, in space rather than time...a practical gift.

Does anyone have sources on psychic abilities and the Scots Irish? Theres in
interesting bit of history involving my family and the Big Levels near
Lewisburg W.VA back before the Revolutionary War. A woman named Dennys was
abducted by the Indians and taken to their town in Ohio. She escaped and
made her way back to the Big levels. The Indians followed her and massacred
several settlements.

Anyway, this Dennys woman is said to have been a witch. The account I have
says she developed this ability during her stay with the Indians. But, I
thought the Indians were as negative towards witches (as opposed to Medicine
MEN) as New Englanders. Anyway, she was said to be able to tame animals by
whispering in their ears and to have had the ability to control the weather.
This sounds alot like magic abilities I've read of in a Scottish context.
Even though I believe that Dennys is a form of Donoghue. Anyway, she was
apparently accepted by the Scots Irish community at Big Levels. I have read
elsewhere that the Scots Irish were more tolerant of such magical abilities
than other Protestants and that the mountain folk practiced certain
practical magic, regulated activities by the moon and such.

Does anyone have sources for ScotsIrish and/or Appalachians and various
forms of magic? I was quite surprised, while touring through West Virginia
and North Carolina to find
businesses dealing in magical paraphenalia.

Tracy

This thread: