Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886947126

From: <>
Subject: Re: MCILVEEN, N. Ire>SC, 1700's.
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 09:12:06 EST

In a message dated 2/7/98 4:58:21PM, you write:

<<
Diane Smith http://www.halcyon.com/dianes
Seattle, WA
Foundation for Educational Choice - http://www.halcyon.com/maywood
Kidlink KIDPROJ Assistant - http://www.kidlink.org/
ICQ UIN# 5116738
Researching Clark,Paxton,McIlvaine,Campbell,Morrow,Morrison

Hi Diane!
As you know, I am only beginning my researches into the McIlveen line. This is
my mother's side of the family. I have the 1901 census details for our family
i.e. back to ggrandfather (who was a linen lapper). They lived in Belfast.
While looking for their movements in the Belfast and Ulster Directories, I
found several other McIlveens. Some were in linen manufacturing e.g. in the
1880 and 1887 directory, Arthur McIlveen and Co., linen manufacturer, 17 (19)
Linenhall Street (Belfast, where the famous Linenhall Library is situated),
res. 4, Castlereagh Place, Mountpottinger; J.T. McIlveen, linen manufacturer
and bleacher, 6, Donegall Sq. North: H.&S. McIlveen (sons of JT), linen
manufacturers, 8 James St. South; McIlveen & Co, handkerchief finishers and
linen merchants, 3 Donegall Sq. West; Rev. J. McIlveen, Crescent Presbyterian
Church, Belfast. There was also a Gilbert McIlveen, barrister.

I found another McIlveen at 31 Excise Street in the 1901 census. He, James,
was a station cab driver, originally from Co. Tyrone. His wife, Mary, came
from Scotland. At that time they had 5 children, Robert James (16), Annie
(10), John (6), George (3) and David (9 mths).

On my ggrandfather's birth certificate it states that he came from Co. Antrim,
so my next step will be to try to locate him there. There is a lot of
information on McIlveens in the Public Record Office Northern Ireland (PRONI),
but I can only get there about twice a month, so it will probably be a long
search. I don't really know how to systematically go further. Householders
I am sure it is possible that some of our McIlveens went to South Carolina,
they were still going to the US in this century.

Good luck with your research, and if I come across anything which relates to
your family, I will certainly let you know. Where do your Clarks come from? We
have Clarkes next door. Originally from Co. Down, but I they also had Elliots
in their line, who lived at Elliott's Hill in Co. Antrim - There's a wind farm
there now.

David

This thread: