Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886951598

From: <>
Subject: Re: Fw: The Irish in America
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 10:26:38 EST

Linda
I would never accept forced assimilation. Never in a million years.
What I meant by amalgam is different from assimilation. It is simply what
emerges when elements combine, and combine they will, in Northern Ireland, in
Bosnia, even in Israel and Palestine.
I wholeheartedly agree with you that what will come out of Ulster eventually
will not be what has come out of the Republic to the south. It oculdn't be the
same -- experiences and environment are totally different.
Psychologists point out that even siblinlgs in the same familiy do not share
same environment and same experiences. Their birth order is too vital.
Same with Ulster Irish and Republic Irish. Even tho they share common
bloodlines, their experiences and environment have been along different lines.
but that does not mean that co-existence is not possible.
To look at another collateral thread that has been going on this list. folks
in the South were not "assimilated" after the War Between the States. We had
different experiences and environment (to some extent still do, no snow here
this winter), yet eventually the amalgam that came about in this country was
more than North and more than South. It was American.
I predict that will happen in that green green island off the coast of Britain
as well.
Someday.
love
'joan

P.s. May I point out that that has already happened to me? I am a product of a
father wholly descended from Potato People and a mother with roots firmly
grunded in the Scotch Irish-English settlements in this country.

This thread: