Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886967337

From: Les Peine <>
Subject: Re: Wanted: Book on Ulster History
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 14:48:57 -0500

Ernest Tufft wrote:

> Hello from drenched and flooded California:
>
> Can anyone recommend a good history dealing with the Cromwellian
> planting of Ulster? My English TUFFT forebears went to Ireland around
> 1650 and settled near Loughbrickland, Co. Down.
>
> By the way, can anyone tell me anything about Loughbrickland? I have
> never been there, but it shows up on the map of the Battle of the Boyne.
> (Thanks, whoever suggested that map site.)
>
> Ernie in California
> RESEARCHING in No. Ireland: TUFFT, CRAWFORD
Ernie,

"The Scotch-Irish, A Social History" by James G. Leyburn is an excellent
and interesting book on the times. Chapel Hill, The University of North
Carolina Press ISBN 0-8078-4259-1. I got it at Border's Bookstore.

A far more concise history is "A Traveller's History of Ireland" by
Peter Neville, Interlink Books, New York. ISBN 1-56656-259-7.

Or "A History of Ireland" by Edmund Curtis, Routledge London and New
York. ISBN 0-415-02786-1

of course there is also,
"A History of Ulster" by Jonathan Bardon, The Blackstaff Press, Belfast
ISBN 0-85640-476-4.

Les

This thread: