Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886970495

From: linda Merle <>
Subject: Re: MCILVEEN, N. Ire>SC, 1700's.
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 12:41:35 -0800

Dear David,

It is really hard trying to figure out how to proceed:

> I don't really know how to systematically go further. Householders

there are guides online: http://www.rootsweb.com/~bifhsusa/
and GENUKI http://sentinel.mcc.ac.uk/genuki/mindex.html

If anyone has suggestions -- it would help a lot of people to
make them here.

It sounds like David has looked up the family in the 1901 census,
so he has all the sibblings.

I would think he would need to obtain the birth certificates for
his last generation, which would give him their parents. And
marriage certificates too. Death information as well.

You can get indexes to the three for Ireland back to 1864 (for
all) or 1845 for Protestants. The indexes are on film at LDS.
then you can orde the actual film with the records. If you
don't know the exact date of birth/marriage/death, you can do
searches in the indexes.....though it is not easy. There are
four per year. After a few hours you want to drink !!

When you run outa civil registration -- what do you do other
than the Householders?

I need a better strategy than the one I am pursuing for Marshalls
from Co Tyrone. Isabella and Alexander left Tyrone in 1821. They
were in their early 20's. There's a zillion Marshalls in the
Householders index-- since they did not have a household of their
own, they aren't there. I don't know Alexander's father's name.
He had seven daughters -- so it is difficult to get any hints.

Linda Merle

This thread: