Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886973396

From: Edward Andrews <>
Subject: Re: Fw: The Irish in America
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 21:29:56 +0000

> >I'm curious how these hyphenations are handled in the UK and the
> >Republic. Anyone know?
> >
> >Linda Merle
I'm not sure that they are really a issue here, Not Irish- Scots etc.
I think that generally people are whatever it is in the first
generation, perhaps have a very small hyphen in a subsequent
generation, which gets dropped quite quickly.
We do have people like the Scots-Italians, but they have only really
been in the community since the beginning of the century. I'm seen as
Irish. as far as I know my Sons are usually seen as Scots. I know
another son of the Manse of Irish extraction is now in public life,
but seen generally as being a Scot.
Perhaps those communities with a different language may have slightly
more problems in medium term integration.
Genealogy is not a popular exercise over here, so there are few who
can go back more than a few generations. There are no Scottish
religions which go in for Ancestor worship, so there is no motivation
except among the nobility to trace their descent.
The death of Enoch Powell however reminds us of the problem of those
from the New Commonwealth.
Because of the linguistic and cultural differences which exist there
has generally been a failure to integrate in some areas.
Precisely how this works out is perhaps the greatest challenge to a
forward looking country, as we hope Scotland will develop given her
new parliament.
I haven't lived in the Republic for almost 30 years, and then I was
in the student community, so I can't really help you.
Edward Andrews
--
St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith
Visit our Web site

This thread: