Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886977919

From: Gail Brown <>
Subject: Re: Founder of KKK and more
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 16:45:19 -0600

Thank you, Tracy, for your thoughtful presentation of a different
perspective. I was raised in Texas, although my people were here just
from early part of this century - my grandfather came from Norway to MN,
in 1881, but everyone else was here before about 1750 - at least 3
Scots-Irish lines, some English, German, Dutch, and Scot. They all
emigrated into New England or New York before the westward move - some
to MI, some to Ohio and Indiana.

So far I've found only one ancestor who fought in the Civil War - for
the North. (I don't know what the Michigan people were doing at that
time.)

Anyway, I've always been fascinated by one sister of my Scots-Irish
gggrandfather Robert Patterson Clark, Nancy, who married Hugh Watt
(another SI, to be sure) and went to Vicksburg, MS, where they
eventually had a small plantation and 20 slaves. Nancy was the
ggrandaughter of Robert CLARK who came from NI to NH about 1725, but she
was the only one of the 8 children (all of whom left NH around 1820) to
head south. Apparently she met and married Hugh Watt (who came from NI
to PA in 1829). Their daughter Mary was born in Canada in 1832,
Elizabeth in 1834 PA, Samuel in 1837 PA, Robert in 1840 in MS, and
William in 1842 MS. Before the war, Hugh Watt was known as a strong
Union man, but William and Robert (possibly Samuel) both fought for the
South. William died from war wounds, but Robert stayed on at the
plantation after the war, eventually dying at 82, at the home of a black
couple in Vicksburg.

The point is that this family was probably typical of many of those in
the South. I believe that the CLARK family, as many other New
Englanders, suffered great loss in NH, as a result of the poor soil
conditions and the freakish weather of 1816. They were just trying to
survive somewhere! And apparently Hugh and Nancy had achieved some
measure of success, only for the War to bring it to an end.

I think it's a good thing to discuss history in the context of our
families - makes it so much more real - and hopefully it can be done
without the anger and hurt that sometimes accompanies such discussions.

Thanks to all for sharing so much information! I love this list!

Gail

Burnside wrote:

> Hi all
>
> My gr-gr-grandfather Robert and several brothers came up
> here to Michigan in 1832 from (West)Virginia near the
> Virginia border. We've been Michigan farmers ever since.

SNIP

This thread: