Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886994684

From: John Giacoletti <>
Subject: Sass on Sass
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 22:24:44 -0500

Kathy Bates wrote:

>"sassenach" was derived
> from a Gael word "sasunnach" meaning "an English person or Lowlander:
term
> used, often disparagingly, by Irish and Scots". However, later, it
didn't
> have so much of a negative connotation, hence the pet name. Do I have
this
> right, anyone else out there who might know?

Edward Andrews replied:

In circles in which I move, when the word is used it has such
extremely disparaging connotations that it is rarely used as being
grossly offensive to our southern neighbours.
It is usually used with a selection of adjectives.

John Giacoletti concuring with Edward Andrews wrote concurrently:

Hey girls,

I hate to spoil the chat BUT "sassenach" is now a term of contempt used by
a Scot to mean an English person.

>The word "sassenach" is used as a nickname or a term of endearment from a
husband to a wife in a book >I'm reading that takes place around the '45
uprising.

"I got friends in Low Places," meaning of course Lowland Scots :-), and
since I am not a minister, what I hear is something like,

"Bl**dy fookin' sassenach, he is."

John Giacoletti

This thread: