Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887005762-01

From: "Carole J. March" <>
Subject: Re: WIMPSETT surname
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 22:29:22 -0800

Hello: Well, I know which part of me is Irish, the CRADY part, but I am a
difficult
in my search to find the origin of the WIMPSETT name. I can not yet find a
ship
passenger list that show that name, but other documents show that the family
was
among the first Catholic colonists to St. Mary's County, Maryland, USA. I did
see
the name listed as being in England in the late 1500's and 1600's, but I have
yet to
find the origin or place of departure.

This is the first time I have been on your list. I tried the British list and
they are all
running around, looking for their own grandparents with very little sense of
humor!

I would also like to learn some Irish idiomatic expressions and I am doing some

research on that.

The Wimpsett family and the Cradys were all Catholics from my own grandfather
Wimpsett back to the early ones in Maryland.

Carole Wimpsett Marc

This thread: