Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887032328

From: "Robert T. Hilliard" <>
Subject: RE: Fw: The Irish in America
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 08:52:08 -0500

William,
Just a note to tell you that, as anyone from western PA knows, Heinz is alive
and well here in Pittsburgh. In fact, it is one of the richest corporations in the
world and owns several subsidiaries, such as Ore-Ida and Sara Lee (I think),
which are very successful in their own right.
Heinz, which has been based here in Pittsburgh since its inception, is, of course,
most famous for its catsup, which they began spelling 'ketchup'. It's hard
for me to imagine that you haven't seen Heinz ketchup anywhere recently,
but anything's possible.
The 'Heinz 57' tag was developed by founder Henry J. Heinz to advertise the
number of products that his company made and sold. They originally started
by bottling various vegetables and moved into condiments from there. I think
their first best-selling item was bottled horseradish.
BTW, until very recently Heinz was headed by an Irishman, Anthony O'Reilly.
Just in the last few months, though, he has been taking less of a role and a
new CEO is moving in. I can't recall his name right now (probably because
he's not Irish!).
Please forgive my geographic chauvinism, but I couldn't let that slide.
Regards,
Rob