Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887036732

From: "Bob GILLIVER" <>
Subject: McCLELLAND
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 23:05:32 +0800

Hi everyone,

I'm tracing the McCLELLAND family from Co Armagh, Northern Ireland around
1820-1850.

Andrew McCLELLAND and his wife Rachel (nee COWSAR) appear to have lived in
Ballymore, Armagh from 1790-1820. Can anyone give me a lead to which
Barony, Parish or Poor Law Union, the town of Ballymore might have belonged
at that time.

They had at least one son named James McCLELLAND (born 2/4/1820) who
married Elizabeth PORTER in 1838 in Ballymore, but they then went and lived
in "Points Pass". (Also spelt variously as Pointz Pass or even Poyntz
Pass). This town apparently straddles County Armagh and County Down, and
the reporting Districts are quite confusing.

If Points Pass is nevertheless still in Ballymore Parish, then their
records should start in 1783 (Catholic records not until 1843). If however
Points Pass is in Co Down, then it's Aghaderg who start in 1814 for C of I
and 1816 for Catholic.

Before I start untangling this one, does anyone out there in cyberspace
have any links to this family, who can guide me.

The surname I mentioned before of COWSAR is also intriguing - not often
heard of. Can anyone enlighten me whether it is a Scottish surname?

Bob Gilliver
(Singapore)

This thread: