Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887043517

From: Glenn Dixon <>
Subject: Clan vs. Klan
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 10:58:37 -0600

In response (basically) to the "Founder of the KKK" thread:

Some, it would seem, find this topic disturbing. If that is you, please
feel free
to invoke your delete key now and avoid disturbing yourself further.
Personally,
I find it rather intriguing and educational. I enjoy learning from the
past in
order to (hopefully) avoid repeating the mistakes of our forefathers.

A few weeks ago, while surfing, I ran across a publication written by
someone
that just might be a distant relative of mine. It is in the archives of
the University
of North Carolina's "Digitized Library of Southern Literature." The
title of the
article is "The Clansman, An Historical Romance Of The Ku Klux Klan."
It was
written by one Thomas Dixon, Jr. of Dixondale, Virginia in 1904.
Supposedly,
Thomas Dixon condemned both slavery and Klan activity after the
reconstruction
ended. He was, however, firmly racist.

Although I have not taken the time to read this document in its
entirety, even in
his introduction, and in a brief biographical sketch written about him,
I have noted
some interesting comments.

First, the book is dedicated thusly:

TO THE MEMORY OF
A SCOTCH-IRISH LEADER OF THE SOUTH
My Uncle, Colonel Leroy McAfee
GRAND TITAN OF THE INVISIBLE EMPIRE
KU KLUX KLAN

Second, this quote is from Dixon's introduction:

How the young South, led by the reincarnated souls of the Clansmen
of
Old Scotland, went forth under this cover and against overwhelming
odds,
daring exile, imprisonment, and a felon's death, and saved the life
of a
people, forms one of the most dramatic chapters in the history of
the Aryan race.

Third, this quote is from a biographical sketch on Thomas Dixon, Jr.:

Young Dixon's religious and political beliefs were melded in a
crucible
shaped by his region's military defeat and economic depression and
by
the fiercely independent, Scotch-Irish Presbyterian faith of the
North
Carolina highlands.

Here are the questions that this leaves me with:

1) Was the KKK founded primarily by Scots-Irish (or Scots as the
recent thread
has debated)?

2) Was the KKK fashioned in some way after the pattern of the old
Scots clan system?

3) What is the actual definition/translation of "Ku Klux" anyway?

For those who care to see the original quotes, here is the site:

http://sunsite.unc.edu/docsouth/dixon/dixon.html

I find the possibilities here most intriguing, and I look forward to the
(hopefully)
informative and calm responses.

---
Glenn Dixon