Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887048558

From: "Lois/Gene" <>
Subject: Re: Fw: The Irish in America
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 98 10:22:38 PST

In reference to Linda Merle's statement: "I'm curious how these hyphenations
are handled in the UK and the Republic", Edward Andrews responded....

> I'm not sure that they are really a issue here, Not Irish- Scots etc.

In one book (maybe The Steel Bonnets?) I read where the issue of one's
nationality was easily settled along the Border in centuries past...when a man
might live in one country but have a wife from the other, or do business, and/or
own land in both countries. The issue was settled (sometimes in court) by
simply asking the man. If he said he was a Scotsman, that...by gum...
is what he was. I kinda like that approach. If each of us would let our
preference be known (Scot, Scots-Irish, Scotch-Irish, Scot-American, Ulster
Scot, Irish-American...whatever) the rest of us would know how to avoid
stepping on toes. Just for the record, I think of myself as American...with
Scottish and Irish ancestors.

Edward Andrews also wrote:
>There are no Scottish religions which go in for Ancestor worship, so there
> is no motivation except among the nobility to trace their descent.

Not to wishing to offend anyone, but wanting to make sure no one gets the
wrong idea... if you're referring to the LDS Church, their members worship God,
not their ancestors. Their preoccupation with genealogy stems from a belief
that they can stand "proxy" for unbaptised ancestors (if they know their names...
hence the genealogical research). They do this in imitation of an ancient Biblical
custom of baptising the dead. If I've explained this incorrectly, please forgive me.
I have only limited knowledge of their religion, but several of my friends/co-workers
are LDS members and this explanation is my best understanding of their beliefs.

In reference to the language and cultural diversity, Edward says...
> Precisely how this works out is perhaps the greatest challenge to a
> forward looking country, as we hope Scotland will develop given her
> new parliament.

If Scotland solves this challenge, please let us know how you did it. We
could use a good example here in the States. :)

Sincerely,
Lois

This thread: