Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887117312

From: "Robert T. Hilliard" <>
Subject: Scottish/PA art
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 08:28:32 -0500

John,
I don't want you to think that I have some sort of personal scheme to
get you to spend all of your money on artwork, or that I'm somehow
getting a commission on all of this stuff (I wish), but I saw another print
yesterday that I'm guessing you might be interested in. Entitled, "War
Dance", it is by Robert Griffing, an exceedingly popular
painter here in the northeast, who specializes in recreating events and
people from the Pennsylvania frontier during the colonial period. I
think I mentioned him to you before, regarding his particular interest in
and numerous paintings of the Bushy Run battle and Ft. Pitt.
"War Dance" depicts a kilt-clad Highlander doing what appears to be
one of the dances you and others described on the list last week. He
is frozen in mid-leap above two swords lying crossed on the ground.
In the background is a large stone wall, suggesting a fortress
(although almost all of the ones in PA at the time would have been
made of wood) or the side of a stone building (somewhat more likely).
A kilted piper is playing the tune for the dancer, while seated against
the wall are 2 Indians, watching with what seems a mix of respect
and amusement.
Since the print is smaller (about 12"x20") and of less scale (Griffing
usually does full battle scenes or at least broad landscapes with several
people in them) than his other paintings, the cost seemed more
reasonable, about $65 if I remember correctly. Most of his prints run
about $400 to $1000 (that's the price on the one I want, natch).
I saw the print at John Stobart's Three Rivers Gallery in Pittsburgh. Their
phone number is (412) 288-0999. Again, I'm not shilling for them and
you may be able to find it elsewhere. And don't hold me to the $65
price because my memory is not what it once was.
I thought you might be interested and with the discussion on dancing last
week, I decided to cc the list as well.
If you need anything else, or need me to find other ways to spend your
money, let me know.
Regards,
Rob

This thread: