Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887140770

From: "Aaron Orr" <>
Subject: Re: No one to hate!
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 14:59:30 -0500

Hi!

A little lad went to school and was picked on because he was adopted.

He went tearfully home and told his adoptive mother all about it.

His mother whispered something in his ear adn he went back to school next.
When the tuanting began again he asked his class teacher if he could say
something. She allowed him to do so.

"Yesterday, I was upset because tyou said I had no real Mommy and no real
Daddy adn that my Mom and Dad weren't mine. Well let me tell everyone
something. I'm very proud to be adopted because, you see, my Mom and Dad
chose me to be their son, you Moms and Dads had to take what they got!"

Aaron

----------
> Subject: No one to hate!
> Date: February 9, 1998 11:13 PM
>

> Re Adoption: Good point Renee!
>
> >"When you're adopted, there's no one to hate."
>
> I too was adopted 50+ years ago and was left with an open acceptance of
> everyone.
> My mothers family, Reeves, more than welcomed my sister, who was also
adopted,
> and I.
> My father's family was a little more reserved due their very strict
German
> heritage but warmed up with time. Note that they had gone through several
> decades when it wasn't nice to be German.
>
> Growing up I was known around town as the "Red Headed Kraut". Most
people in
> Evergreen were accepting and supportive of adoption and those who weren't
also
> tended to have other unwelcome prejudices.
>
> Half of my childhood friends were adopted and also grew up to be very
> accepting of all ethnic groups.
>
> >"Had difficulty focusing hatred to anyone - for fear I might be
related."
> Right on again.
>
> In my 30's Mom gave me my adoption papers which included my birth name of
> Charles O'Neill. Several years later I found my Birth Mother who
identified my
> father as Charles Romine. As it turns out I am Dutch-Irish (Van
derZouwen-
> O'Neill) on my mothers side and Dutch-German (Romine-Swartz) on my
fathers
> side, but that's not all.
>
> With a little more research on the Romine side I find that an Italian
family
> living in England married into an English family. One of the sons who was
> schooled in Rome used the surname Roman and relocated to Holland when the
> family ended up on the loosing side in the "War of the Roses". They
changed
> their name to Romeyn and became Dutch before help helping to settle New
> Amsterdam.
> Does this equal English-Dutch-Roman or Latino-sassenach-Dutch or New
Yorkie
> or just plain Early American ?
>
> My O'Neill side is a little more straightforward. Henry St. John Joseph
> O'Neill was old country Irish from PA or Ireland who married a Webb
(Welch?).
> Their son Charles married a first generation Dutch-American girl.
>
> So what does all of this make me other than an American born of, and
raised by
> American's of European ancestry.
>
> All in all I'm still a "Red Headed Kraut" with a little, gray trim.
>
> Jerry Roebke (born Charles Thomas O'Neill-Romine)
> Iso Henry St. John Joseph O'Neill

This thread: