Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887147428

From: <>
Subject: KELSO
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 16:50:28 EST

I would like to request any information regarding the KELSO family in Northern
Ireland. According to LDS records Alexander KELSO was among the first
arrivals
in Worcester MASS in 1718. According to the Blythe Geneology, the group were
considered Scotch Irish and were descendents of a colony which had removed
from Argyleshire, Scotland to Londonderry in the North of Ireland, in the
reign of James I.
They left Ireland because of religious persecution. In Worcester their
religious practices were distasteful to the older inhabitants. Accordingly,
Alexander and his three brothers left and went to settle in the town of
Londonderry, NH in 1719.
I disagree with this statement. I believe one of his brothers stayed in
Worcester, MASS. I believe this was Hugh KELSO.

Alexander, John and William went on to Londonderry, NH. William went by the
last name KELSEY. John and Alexander went by the last name KELSO. With the
information that has been given to me, I believe that Hugh was the oldest,
born between 1700-1703. Hugh had a wife when he arrived. Alexander would be
the next oldest, born 1700-1703. then William and John.

If anyone has any information that may help me connect to the KELSO family in
Ireland, please let me know. Any information as to location and first names
in Ulster to look up would be appreciated. Any information about Argyleshire
in Scotland would also be most appreciated. Thank you!

Teri Kelso

Teri Kelso

This thread: