Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887149491

From: Gail Brown <>
Subject: Re: KELSO
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 16:24:51 -0600

Teri,

Charles Knowles Bolton's _Scotch Irish Pioneers in Ulster and America_
has two references to Hugh KELSO. On pg. 183, he is listed in 1733, as
one of 4 men in the "sixth seat" of the orthodox church built in 1719.
Bolton's source was _Worcester Society of Antiquity, Vol. 2, p. 28, pp.
85-86. On pg. 188, he is listed as one of the "chief Worcester Scotch
Irish settlers". If you don't have access to this book, let me know.

My Scots-Irish ancestors may have been in the same group with yours -
CLARK and COCHRAN to Londonderry, NH, and DUNSMOOR/DENSMORE to Worcester
Co. MA. The DUNSMOORs came from Kilrea, and attended one of Rev.
Matthew CLARK's route parishes. Besides Kilrea, there was Tamlach,
O'Crilly, Desertoghills, and possibly Errigal.

If you come across CLARK, COCHRAN, or DUNSMOOR/DENSMORE in your
research, I'd appreciate your letting me know.

Gail Brown

wrote:

> I would like to request any information regarding the KELSO family in Northern
> Ireland. According to LDS records Alexander KELSO was among the first
> arrivals
> in Worcester MASS in 1718. According to the Blythe Geneology, the group were
> considered Scotch Irish and were descendents of a colony which had removed
> from Argyleshire, Scotland to Londonderry in the North of Ireland, in the
> reign of James I.
> They left Ireland because of religious persecution. In Worcester their
> religious practices were distasteful to the older inhabitants. Accordingly,
> Alexander and his three brothers left and went to settle in the town of
> Londonderry, NH in 1719.
> I disagree with this statement. I believe one of his brothers stayed in
> Worcester, MASS. I believe this was Hugh KELSO.
>
> Alexander, John and William went on to Londonderry, NH. William went by the
> last name KELSEY. John and Alexander went by the last name KELSO. With the
> information that has been given to me, I believe that Hugh was the oldest,
> born between 1700-1703. Hugh had a wife when he arrived. Alexander would be
> the next oldest, born 1700-1703. then William and John.
>
> If anyone has any information that may help me connect to the KELSO family in
> Ireland, please let me know. Any information as to location and first names
> in Ulster to look up would be appreciated. Any information about Argyleshire
> in Scotland would also be most appreciated. Thank you!
>
> Teri Kelso
>
> Teri Kelso

This thread: