Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887157284

From: Edward Andrews <>
Subject: Re: Scotch-Irish
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 00:34:44 +0000

J. L. Jones wrote:

> This discussion has been on list, but I find the latter part of the text
> written in this book confusing. Please check the underlined section. Has
> there been agreement of this from other sources? In other words, it sounds as
> though the Scotch who moved to Ireland were not Celtic Scotch, ergo not
> Scotch-Irish or Ulstermen because they were really English.

Strictly speaking, because originally the political/
racial/linguistic take your pick, boundaries in Scotland ran north
South. Bede c 731, splits the South Of Scotland up into- To the West,
a political, or anyway a racial or perhaps a linguistic entity which
straddled the present border, inhabited by Britons, and Edinburgh was
part of Northumberland (then called Bernicia) inhabited by Angles, it
may be claimed that it is difficult to know the origins of many of the
inhabitants of Southern Scotland.
Bede also places the Scots of Dalriada, originally Irish in the first
place, in Argyll. with the Picts north of the Forth.
You can argue this as long as you like - preferably with a bottle of
Black Bush or similar to fuel your speculation.
Alternatively you can read Croft Dickinson Scotland from earliest
times to 1603, Nelson 1961 & 65.
Edward.
--
St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith
Visit our Web site

This thread: