Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887163841

From: John Giacoletti <>
Subject: Bull Dick Whip
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 21:24:01 -0500

I have found out that among the Scots-Irish farmers in Armstrong Co.
Pennsylvania there was a great deal of prestiege associated with having
this particular tool for keeping control of cattle and swine.

My grandpa had one and he hung it on a peg from a leather thong in the barn
and he would grab it when the alarm went off that signaled a break in the
electric fence or when shooin the pigs into their pens.

The tool was a bull dick whip of thin tapered cartiledge about 2.5 - 3 feet
long with a leather thong handle.

Sometimes just snapping it in the air was enough to turn an animal the
right way.

I bet Linda Merle has never read about this in any of her books!!!

John Giacoletti

This thread: