Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887192488

From: James McNellis <>
Subject: Re: Guilt?
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 10:21:28 +0000

--------------BE8D6FE4883469B8B61F5DD3

Gordon, I could not agree with you more!

What has been evident for the past several days at this web site and
others is the overt and covert presence of bigotry and hate from a
number of people who for the most part are geographically and several
generations removed from the center of this problem. There are a
sufficient number of people in Northern Ireland (albeit a tiny minority
on both sides) dedicated to the continuation of this madness and
violence. They do so out of fear, ignorance or the advancement of their
own personal agenda. We do not need to help them.

The only solution to this problem is for those who are somewhat removed
from the close proximity of these events to demonstrate patience and
tolerance in their words and writings. Intelligent people are obligated
to speak out as the voice of reason through these difficult times. As
professional and amateur genealogists we more then anyone should see the
stupidity of this situation. All it takes is a few more sheets of paper
and analysis before all of these disparate nationalities share the same
mother and father. This is true whether you speak of Northern Ireland,
Bosnia, Somalia or Cambodia.

With our unique perspective, we should all condemn any statements which
fan the flames of hatred. I truly believe that our tolerance of it leads
inevitably to someone's death.

Condemn bigotry and work for peace.

--------------BE8D6FE4883469B8B61F5DD3

<HTML>
Gordon, I could not agree with you more!

<P>What has been evident for the past several days at this web site and
others is the overt and covert presence of bigotry and hate from a number
of people who for the most part are geographically and several generations
removed from the center of this problem. There are a sufficient number
of people in Northern Ireland (albeit a tiny minority on <I>both</I> sides)
dedicated to the <B>continuation</B> of this madness and violence. They
do so out of fear, ignorance or the advancement of their own personal agenda.
We do not need to help them.

<P>The only solution to this problem is for those who are somewhat removed
from the close proximity of these events to demonstrate patience and tolerance
in their words and writings. Intelligent people are obligated to speak
out as the voice of reason through these difficult times. As professional
and amateur genealogists we more then anyone should see the stupidity of
this situation. All it takes is a few more sheets of paper and analysis
before all of these disparate nationalities share the same mother and father.
This is true whether you speak of Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Somalia or
Cambodia.

<P>With our unique perspective, we should all condemn any statements which
fan the flames of hatred. I truly believe that our tolerance of it leads
inevitably to someone's death.

<P>Condemn bigotry and work for peace.</HTML>

--------------BE8D6FE4883469B8B61F5DD3--

This thread: