Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887202655

From: "Chuck May" <>
Subject: Re: Definition of a yankee
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 08:10:55 -0500

> And I won't tell you what a yankee is to us old-time Texans. suffice to
say
>we were not talking about ballplayers, and we always prefixed it with a
third
>syllable.

Strange -- I always reserved the third syllable for exclusive use in
reference to the ball team.

FWIW, I'm a bit of a strange Yankee, as my father spent much of his
childhood in Atlanta, graduating from Russell High School there in 1938. In
our small town in western Massachusetts, I was the only person I knew who
had ever heard of (not to mention actually eaten (not to mention actually
enjoyed)) grits and Dr. Pepper.

We also celebrated Lee-Jackson Day, which happened to coincide with my
father's birthday.

Chuck May
Gaithersburg, MD

http://home.sprynet.com/interserv/cmay0