Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887207457

From: "Dorothy Chance" <>
Subject: Re: William F Shaughnessy's naught bits, Bits & Pieces
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 08:30:57 -0600

Linda: Personally, I want to thank everyone who has contributed to what
appears to me to be an unusually poignant conversation here, about things
that are deeply emotional, deeply personal...yet directly effect the lot of
us.

While taking pot shots at one another is surely destructive, I honor the
honesty and depth of feeling that is so instructive to me. I really had
only the vaguest of notions about the "troubles"...and I have learned
something that I had never before considered: That the Timothy McVey thing
in Oklahoma is CERTAINLY NOT the first terrorist act in the USA! Dont know
why it never occurred to me before, but I have lived in "terrorist" country
my whole life. In the 1960's, there were terrorist groups everywhere one
looked....and somehow we all made it through that foundational revolution
without totally destroying the fabric of a way of life.

In Atlanta, in 1961, the KKK and the SNIC were both parading with pickets
before Rich's department store. Both getting their coffee from the same
vendor....

In the inner cities of our country there is apparently a "real" warfare
underweigh...and the killing is far more extensive than in NI, at least as
far as I can see. Isnt it sad?

It seems to me that talking about it, even when feelings surface that are
uncomfortable, is a way to share in the bridge building.