Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887211080

From: linda Merle <>
Subject: Re: census dates
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 07:31:20 -0800

Dear Gordon ,

Thanks for pointing this out to us:

> The 1920 date refers only to USA census records. UK
> census records are closed for 100 years, unlike the 72 years in the States,
> so the latest UK census open to the public is 1891.

I think in geographical Ireland, due to Four Courts fire and
the loss of many records, the 1901 and 1911 censuses are released.
The 1901 seems not too difficult to "find" but the 1911 -- has
anyone used it? I am not sure LDS has it readily available.

Then, Charlies, just wait till ya get into the 19th century in
Ireland -- NO censuses!

There are some suggestions here:
List website: http://members.aol.com/Manus/ulsterref.html
LDS has an Irish guide that helps. It used to be available on line.
Anyone know if it still is?

Linda Merle

This thread: