Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887211602

From: Gail Brown <>
Subject: Rev. Matthew Clark
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:40:02 -0600

Good morning! (or afternoon),

I had some Irish oatmeal this mornin' and thought to share this insight
into the SI character from Bolton's _Scotch Irish in Ulster and
America_, p. 301-303.

"The Scotch Irish have never claimed that they brought literature or art
to these shores. They knew little of the former and nothing of
aesthetics. Diaries and letters of the migration period do not exist
and perhaps never did exist. Let us speak frankly. Every race brings
to our western civilization a gift of its own. These people from Ulster
cared very little for the beautiful, with the single exception of the
wonderful and beautiful Bible story. Even the New Testament they
handled as a labourer might touch a Sevres vase - reverently but rudely.
The Rev. Matthew Clark of Kilrea, a veteran of the Londonderry siege and
a poplular minister at the American Londonderry, was a type of the
patriot soldier, rough, sturdy, independent. Preaching from Philippians
iv. 13 he began with the words: "'I can do all things.' Ay, can ye,
Paul? I'll bet a dollar o' that!" whereupon he drew a Spanish dollar
from his pocket and placed it beside his Bible on the pulpit. Then,
with a look of surprise he continued; "Stop! let's see what else Paul
says: 'I can do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth me.' Ay,
sae can I, Paul; I draw my bet!" and he returned the dollar to his
pocket. We may wonder that such preaching fostered the simple trust and
abiding faith evident in the dying words of Mrs. Morison of Londonderry.
When asked what she would have more, she replied: "Nothing but Christ."

It's a fine day, here in Texas, hope it is where you are, too!

Gail

This thread: