Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887214891

From: John Carpenter <>
Subject: Re: Riding the Goat
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 08:34:51 -0800 (PST)

I'm getting more and more intrigued by this. My male
ancestors were Masons for several generations, but I
don't know of anyone in my generation or later ones
who is a member. And Id never heard of riding the
goat.......I can think of several things it might
mean, some of which I prefer not to dwell on since I
don't even like to ride horses. Maybe I should talk
to some of my Mason friends and see if they will talk
about the sacred mysteries.

---John Giacoletti wrote:

> The Master Mason is skilled in ALL the tools of
masonry.

> One of these tools is the setting maul, a
sand-filled leather pouch
> attached to a wooden handle.
>
> All stones are not set in the cement the same way
and it is in the
> discretion of the Master Mason how a particular
stone gets set into place.
> Some require a good "thunk" and others a
restrained and perfunctory tap.

> In the Master Mason's eye, I was more akin to the
rough ashlar that the
> smooth squared stone so I got a solid shot to get
set into the fraternity
> and am thus more fully able to appreciate The Light
of Masonry having
> experienced the pitch of dark.
>
> In that state of unconsciousness you will ride a
goat or donkey or camel or