Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887232996

From: "J. Wiley" <>
Subject: Re: Hans WILEY in County Down, pre 1760
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:36:36 -0500

Though I have no information on my ancestor's family in County
Down, I have made some general research, from curiosity as much
as any other reason. All I have to go on is that Hans Wiley was
born in County Down in 1760.

I wondered about a Scots named "Hans." It seemed odd to me, but I
learned that it's not all that unique. Further, I believe his
family in County Down may have been of the Ayrshire families who
were transplanted with the tenants of the Hamiltons and
Montgomerys, who include a "Hans" or two among their families of
the early- to mid-1600's.

Now, after that rambling introduction, my question: is anyone
else researching those particular families, the tenants of
Hamiltons and Montgomerys from Ayr of the 1600s?

Jim

James Wiley, AKA:

This thread: