Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887235425

From: "Peggy Murdock" <>
Subject: Re: Origin of the Klu Klux Klan
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:17:05 -0600

I grew up in Birmingham, Alabama and one of the books in the old bookshelf
in our upstairs hall was a fictional account of the Klu Klux Klan, written
by a southerner. I wish I could remember the name of the book and its
author. I believe he was trying to be historically accurate, so I will give
you his version of the origin and development of the Klan.

After the Civil War, anarchy reigned in the southern states. Newly released
slaves did not have any preparation for the responsibilities and
opportunities of freedom and many of them went wild. No one felt safe
anymore, because there was absolutely no law enforcement. Stealing was
widespread. Women weren't safe on the streets, or in their homes. The men
got together to try to bring some semblance of order. They knew that the
freed slaves were simple and superstitious, and decided that they could use
the scare tactics of wearing white robes and burning crosses in lawns in
order to help curb the mayhem that reigned. Absolute secrecy was required
because what there was of government was hostile to ordinary peaceful white
citizens.

When the government began to function again, and courts and officials could
be trusted to ensure the safety and peace of the ordinary citizen, the KKK
was officially disbanded by the people who had organized it.

At that point the men of integrity left the ranks, leaving only thugs who
enjoyed the power and didn't care a whit about justice, only. The same
types of guys are in the present day KKK. Middle-school level adult thugs
who never intend to grow up and take on the responsibilities of building a
peaceful, just world.

This thread: