Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887261971

From: "J. L. Jones" <>
Subject: RE: Founder of the KKK
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 98 01:06:02 UT

Beautifully said, Dorothy.

Regards in peace,
Joanna

----------
From: Dorothy Chance
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 1998 8:55 PM
To: Iain Sommerville;

One of the greatest learning opportunities I have experienced on this list
is this business of stepping, unknowingly, into someone else's "taboo" list.
Learning just what subjects or words trouble which people has been
fascinating.

Until we came to the KKK discussion, however, it did not occur to me that
maybe we are all experiencing the same emotional touchiness...just with
differing "triggers." For me, the KKK and the N word are DEFINITE symbols
of a highly emotionally charged situation that I feel especially vulnerable
and tender about.

Folks who live on the European side of the Atlantic have a different set of
triggers, I am coming to understand.

Linda beautifully pleads for celebration of diversity, for honor and respect
even between long adversaries...and, perhaps, a growing understanding that
there are toucheous places among us all where words can be painful. Maybe
we could learn to comfort one another in that pain, and learn together some
perspective that gives more harmony!

You know, all we have to do is take a look at nature itself to 'discover'
that diversity is the creative way....look at leaves,
snowflakes....whatever, and there are no two alike. Maybe we need to
celebrate differences, even when there is pain....for we all share the same
pain, just tied to different things.

I dont know......somehow I think "naming" helps.

-

This thread: